October 8, 2018
- Also Hapag-Lloyd will introduce a system of soprannoli in order to support the greater costs in order to buy fuel to low sulfur tenor
- The German company has announced that tariff increases will be applied gradually beginning from on January 1°, 2019
- Also the Hapag-Lloyd German, as other primary companies of navigation of the segment of the containerized marine transport, has announced the introduction of a system of soprannoli, called Marine Fuel Recovery (MFR), with the scope to on January 1°, 2020 support the greater costs deriving from the fuel acquisition to low sulfur tenor in sight of the effectiveness of the new Maritime norms of the International Organization (IMO) on the emissions of the ships that will involve a lowering from 3.5% to 0.5% in mass of the sulfur tenor in the fuel used from the ships(on 28 October 2016).
- As other marine carriers, moreover, also Hapag-Lloyd has decided to introduce these tariff increases a year before the effectiveness of the norms, being specified that system MFR will be applied gradually beginning from on January 1°, 2019 and will replace all the soprannoli on the existing fuel.
- "We - the managing director of Hapag-Lloyd has explained, Rolf Habben Jansen - receive the parity of conditions and the environmental improvements deriving from a severeer regulation, but - he has specified - it is obvious that this does not happen free of charge and that it will determine additional costs. This will be reflected mainly on the expenses for the fuel for the fuel purchase to low sulfur tenor, as - has found Habben Jansen - a realistic alternative does not exist so that our field turns out consistent in 2020. With our MFR, we have developed a system for our customers who we consider is fair, because an easy calculation allows, comprehensible and transparent of the costs of the fuel".
- Marine Fuel Recovery (MFR) for TEU for different fuel prices for tonne*
East Asia - North Europe
East Asia - North America East Coast
North Europe - North America East Coast
East Asia - North America West Coast
East Asia - South America West Coast
North Europe - Indian Subcontinent
- * price Market assumptions for HSFO or LSFO 0,5%. Also includes LSFO 0,1% under the assumption its price market is 660 US dollars
Notes 1: The same MFR applies to both directions
Notes 2: The sample calculation is only indicative and is based on currently available given market
- System MFR elaborated from Hapag-Lloyd is based on a formula that arranges the fuel consumption with the market prices of the fuel and takes in consideration various relative parameters to broken detailed lists marine between which fuel the every day consumption of a ship, the type of fuel and its price, the days of navigation and pause in the ports and the volume of transported containerized cargos.
- The German company has specified that, based on own esteem and assuming that in the 2020 difference between fuel HFSO to high tenor of sulfur and fuel LSFO to low sulfur content is pairs to 250 dollars to the ton, the company beginning from previews in the first five years the application of the new norms on the fuel that the ulterior expenses to face for the consistent fuel acquisition will pile altogether to about a billion of dollars.
- Hapag-Lloyd has specified moreover that it is taking in consideration other technologies for the reduction of the emissions, between which the systems of cleansing of drainage gases, but - as other companies of navigation - has confirmed that such solutions could be applied alone on a small part of the fleet.