|JUNE 8, 2018|
- Alibaba's logistics arm Cainiao in jv to build US$1.5b logistics centre in HK
- China offers to buy US$70b of US goods if White House halts tariffs
- ILA, USMX reach tentative 6-year contract agreement
- Kerry Logistics buys majority stake in Italian logistics company
- Q1 Asia-M East box volumes soar but overcapacity blights rate recovery
- CMA CGM creates special logo to mark its 40th anniversary
- Harbour cranes sail from Antwerp to Abidjan with SAL
- Terrorist drones pose threat to commercial shipping
- American Airlines to start first US Cuba belly cargo service
- Air France-KLM to use CSafe Global's e-container for pharma shipments
- West Atlantic returns to profit in Q1 despite losing mail routes
|JUNE 7, 2018|
- IMO focusing on better facilitating electronic business, single window system in maritime transport & improved port efficiency
- Need for autonomous ships to comply with COLREGs stressed
- Shipping of dry bulk projected to take a turn for the better
- FIEO leading pan-India delegation of exhibitors to major trade fair in China
- Dangerous cargo restrictions in Saint Petersburg & Ust-Luga due to FIFA World Cup 2018
- IATA, Deloitte develop Airport Ownership & Regulation guidance recognising the strategic national importance of airports
- Economy seen on continuous upward trajectory
- Delegates showing increasing enthusiasm to be a part of South East CEO Conclave & Awards 2018 in Chennai on June 29
- EXIM Club organises seminar to discuss anti-dumping remedial measures
|JUNE 8, 2018|
- Starting 2018 with verve
- Germany: BGL publishes alternative route map for HGVs
- Aussies remember Smithy
- Green laurels for POLB
- More capacity for European and US LTL networks
- From Malaysia to Ethiopia
- Emirates starts Stansted service
- Middle East's Translux awards global LNG contract
- DHL building innovation centre in Chicago
- Locomotives delivered to Canadian railways
- Another peak for Panama Canal
- Communications at Cargotec in new hands
- Air Canada: time for new routes to Europe
- Swiss Worldcargo's pharma leadership recognized
- Blocktrains take to the rails in India
- More traffic for Marseille Fos
- Kerry Logistics moving into new markets
- New key account manager for Atlantic Logistics
- The new choice: France, a partner for your trade...
|JUNE 7, 2018|
- Posidonia 2018: Scrubber installations booming, says DNV GL
- Acquisitions continue to complement Wrist's organic growth strategy
- ONE becomes latest liner operator to impose bunker surcharge
- Fairplay's tonnage titans
- Grimaldi orders six more large ro-ros from Jinling
- Ulsan port seeks LNG-fuelled tugs
- ClassNK data-sharing platform attracts 46 companies
- Seoul clarifies HMM's 'need' for USD750 million
|JUNE 7, 2018|
- US east coast dockworkers finally settle bitter dispute over new employment contract
- DHL eyes first services to the US from Leipzig with its European airline, EAT
- Box terminals fare better financially than their carrier customers, but can it last?
- Kuehne + Nagel goes the final mile with Zebraxx partnership deal
- Comment: How to make sense of the digitalisation of the ports industry
- Saar Dotan leads new management appointments at Zim
- Vicky Brock joins returns specialist ReBound's senior leadership team
|JUNE 7, 2018|
- DNV GL to release its first cyber security class notations
- C-Innovation appoints Shaun Lazenby as commercial manager
- Portsmouth Naval Shipyard projects clear key Senate hurdle
- New COTP NY and NJ to keynote Maritime Cyber Security event
- Ship managers Bernhard Schulte and Columbia pool their buying power
- Damen Jiangyin components facilty receives ISO certificates
- BAE Norfolk Cole modernization contract worth potential $96.7 million
- Bollinger Shipyards receives SCA Award for Excellence in Safety
- Inmarsat research shows owners warming to IoT based solutions
- AWO approves Decatur Marine as TPO for Responsible Carrier Program
|JUNE 7, 2018|
- London Club sees combined ratio hit 119%
Big rise in net incurred claims to blame, says Gooch
- Greek owners pushing envelope on cyber security
DNV GL reveals that a lot of its cyber security research resulted from requests by Greek owners
- ONE joins the many with bunker surcharge
Carrier to join rivals in adding charges, to be rolled out between July 1-15
- Bulkers and containerships dominate scrubber uptake
DNV GL expert warns of significant waiting time for scrubber installations
- Marshall Islands submits safety views on 2020 fuel switch
Liberia, Intercargo and other shipping entities co-sponsor flag's paper
- American Hellenic says April was its best underwriting month so far
Company's insured fleet rose by 43% in the 12 months to end-April, reaching a total of 2,200 vessels
- DFDS completes $1.1bn UN Ro-Ro acquisition
Danish group finalises deal announced in April
- MSC backs scrubber technology as sulphur compliance divides shipping
The world's top three container lines are pursuing different strategies as the shipping industry decides how best to reduce sulphur...
- MSC's Diego Aponte warns of price dumping risks as container shipping recovery fizzles out
State-supported container lines may distort the market through unfair pricing practices, says MSC as it draws attention to the ambitious...
- IMO's 2020 rules favour crude and product tankers, says Wells Fargo
Dry bulker and containership operators may lose out as they cannot fully pass on extra fuel costs to their customers
- Expect regional fuel crunch and spiking prices, warns bunker analyst
We're 18 months away from the 2020 sulphur cap and there is still a lot of uncertainty in the market...
- Lack of political leadership on Brexit alarms UK shipping
Critical comments from Chamber of Shipping come after earlier blast from Freight Transport Association
- Japan puts WTO action over South Korea 'yard doping' on hold
Scaled-back diplomatic strategy towards South Korea comes as Japan tries to charm China into joining the negotiating table at the...
- From the box to the bottle: The logistics of wine
Containerised wine exports are growing but service issues are giving wine makers a hangover
- BSM and Columbia form joint procurement company
Two shipmanagers combine forces for greater leverage over ship suppliers
- Scrubber window of opportunity closing as fuel price spread widens
The total fuel bill for the industry may double from $70bn in 2016 to well over $140bn in 2020
- US Gulf and east coast labour contract deal reached
News of a new master contract assuages fears by port stakeholders of a repeat of the west coast labour dispute...
- Daily Briefing
EU looks to Greek owners to push climate change agenda | Time for Posidonia to speak truth to power |...
- Ioannis Martinos plans aframax pool as Signal eyes new pool concept
Revolutionary Signal Ocean commercial management platform will expand to cover dry bulk as well as tanker market
- The Lloyd's List Podcast: Live from Posidonia, Day 4
On today's podcast we are joined by some of the industry's leading analysts from BIMCO, NS Lemos and DVB Bank.
- Waigaoqiao Shipbuilding sells Shenghui Equipment
Sale will bring about Yuan20.8m net gains to SWS's parent CSSC Holdings facing delisting risks
- Globus Maritime trims losses and eyes reverse split
Greek owner has improved its bottom line with $1.5m net losses seen in the first quarter and remains optimistic about...
- Ezion liftboat capsizes in South China Sea
A towing tug was at the incident site to ensure safety of navigation and look out for any potential pollution
|JUNE 7, 2018|
- Chicago - not just a hub, a high-tech logistics magnet
- LA port set to invest $1.3 billion over next year
- US imports forecast to hit record summer levels
- South Carolina to fill federal gap in Charleston port deepening dollars
- RoadOne acquisition signifies growing US drayage consolidation
- MSC joins free container weight database
- Tech, infrastructure drive productivity gains at DP World Mundra
- FMC rule allows NVOCCs to respond faster to BCO needs
|JUNE 7, 2018|
- Eletson refinancing closer with new notes
Diversified energy shipping group has nearly all bondholders agreeing on exchange offer.
- Avin said to buy another Toisa tanker
Latest deal comes amid string of Greek purchases of bankrupt Toisa's fleet.
- ONE asking shippers for bunker surcharge
Major trans-Pacific liner operator asks additional fee to cover fuel costs, which have risen 25% this year.
- NAT tipped for more demo sales
- Bergesen rules out return to shipping as profit triples
- Panayotides says banks are happy to lend to prudent owners
Pavimar Shipping boss remains upbeat about the availability of finance
- GoodBulk lenders play dual role as IPO underwriters
- Staff cuts position Ince to stay independent or merge
Law firm slims down to stay solo but links to suitors linger
- Ulstein group logs $125m in combined losses
- Seaways likely to take only four of six Euronav VLCCs
Shortfall in bond raise looks to have doomed New York owner's hope of buying half-a-dozen tankers as executives work on a last-ditch solution
- Expanding Hellenic snaps up two tankers from Toisa
Greeks continue to dominate purchases from fleet of bankrupt shipowner
- Another feeder boxship on way to CMA CGM
- Gard pulls off major coup to tie up huge Maersk fleet
One of the hull insurance's biggest upsets is confirmed as Danish shipping giant is won over by Norwegian insurer's 'better terms'
- HMM opts for scrubbers on big boxship orders
- The real victims of the US trade war will be much closer to home
Donald Trump's tariff increases on Chinese imports could be self-defeating and the only sufferers in the whole mess will likely be Americans
- Shipper protests reveal need for new way of carrying fuel costs
Rising price of marine fuels has pushed container lines to bring back emergency bunker surcharges - which has reinvigorated some old arguments
- Lines cut transatlantic services despite growing cargo volumes
Ocean Alliance and HMM make retrenchments amid concern over low freight rates on eastbound trade
- Third cargo lined up from Golar's Hilli Episeyo
- Milaha and Neu fix VLGC trio for a year
- First LNG carrier hooks up with Prelude FLNG facility
Shell is expected to test storage tanks of world's largest LNG floater, but there is speculation ship's call could be just a berthing drill
- Marinakis joins the Greek crush targeting LNG entry
Latsis then speaks about growing his gas ambitions outside of the LPG sphere
- Spanish ship agency to set up LNG brokerage arm
- Botas takes number of Turkish FSRUs to three with order at Hyundai Heavy
- Maran Gas inks another FSRU as it sets sights on first project
- Maersk's 'offshore garbage men' grab decom bull by the horns
Maersk Decom's business model is all about taking over as much risk as possible for offshore decommissioning
- New age in emergency response arrives
Modernisation and expansion of global maritime distress alert system is agreed but safety and compatibility issues still need to be overcome
- Salvors return damaged Maersk Honam to owner
- Liberia hits back after union's Twitter jibe
Chief executive of leading flag says Nautilus official got it badly wrong over attempt to mock registry's anniversary celebrations
- MOL looks to next generation of women seafarers
- Pantheon hopes for trading sale of vintage VLCC
- Chem-tankers face turmoil as importers look closer to home
Trade war between the US and China looks likely to compound the overcapacity facing the sector from newbuildings delivering this year
- Oceangold books two more MR newbuildings at STX
Greek owner exercises options, but latest tanker duo will not be part of new joint venture fleet
- Vinalines eyes more disposals after handymax sale
- d'Amico handymax lures Samin back into market
- Hsin Chien Marine to order newcastlemax in Japan
Large bulker contracted against long-term charter employment to NS United as both outfits look to boost their fleets
- Saddam's yacht set to be pilots' floatel
- Top Ships shares spike on $96m suezmax deal
Possible four-year deal for Hyundai pair sees owner's stock climb by two thirds.
- USC: 50-ship deal will be worth $600m-plus
Russian yard group continues talks over dry cargo vessels for domestic owner.
- Vega crewman rescued after falling overboard
USCG finds Filipino in the sea five miles from Port Everglades.
- Car falls into hole caused by boxship smash
Demolished Suez Canal road proves a problem for waterway authority's vehicle.
- DNV GL sees dramatic pick-up of scrubbers
Drybulk vessels currently the single biggest adopters of scrubber technologies
- WoodMac discounts LNG oversupply concerns
Consultants says LNG market is "rebalancing" and will absorb next wave of US production.
- Pittas hopeful on consolidation chances
One of two new public platforms expected to be involved in M&A before year end despite Poseidon talks cooling.
- Dof Subsea sending OSV to Nigeria
Norwegian owner wins FPSO hook-up work in the third quarter.
- Tallinna Sadam raises $172m in IPO
Estonian ferry and ports company completes over-subscribed offering.
- Grimaldi Group inks another six ro-ros in China
Italian owner reported to have declared options for another $400m of vessels at Jinling.
- DFDS completes $1.1bn U.N. Ro-Ro takeover early
Danish owner to start integration process immediately.
- Schulte and Columbia team on ship supply
A day after merger of Wrist and Klevenberg, GenPro formed to "guarantee" more than 800 owners lower procurement costs.
- Peter Livanos: 'Opportunities anywhere you look'
GasLog chairman tells TradeWinds openings in industry are not limited to the LNG market.
- Reach Subsea secures three-month charter
Norwegian operator signs longer deal for construction vessel.
- SolstadFarstad wins 'significant' Maersk, BP deals
Norwegian owner fixes seven PSVs; adds 2,500 days to its charter backlog.
- Uljanik Plovidba returns to profit
Croatian tanker and bulker owner boosted by higher revenue in first quarter.
- Containerships grows Med, Baltic volumes
Finnish owner's EBITDA rises as revenue increases in first quarter.
- Ezion liftboat capsizes in South China Sea
No casualties as vessel was unmanned, but potential pollution threat from 75-cbm of MGO onboard.
|JUNE 7, 2018|
- Connecticut Port Authority issues State Pier RFP
The Connecticut Port Authority has released a request for proposals from parties interested in developing, financing and operating State Pi...
- Kerry acquires majority stake in Italian logistics provider
Kerry Logistics Network Ltd. has acquired a majority stake in logistics provider Saga Italia S.p.A. Kerry Logistics said the acquisition w...
- Long Beach freeway connector closing
The transition ramp that connects truckers and motorists traveling east from Terminal Island along Ocean Boulevard to the northbound 710 Fr...
- KLLM increases pay for company drivers
Jackson, Miss.-based KLLM Transport Services LLC has announced another pay increase for company truck drivers. This latest increase, with h...
- Wilhelmsen, Airbus piloting shore-to-ship drones
Wilhelmsen Ships Service and Airbus will pilot the delivery of spare parts, documents, water test kits and 3D-printed consumables via Airbu...
- U.S. rail volumes climb nearly 5 percent
Total combined U.S. freight railroad traffic in May increased 4.9 percent to 2.72 million carloads and intermodal units compared with the s...
- ILA, employers reach tentative contract agreement
The International Longshoremen's Association and the employer group United States Maritime Alliance (USMX) have reached agreement on a tent...
- Canada's trade deficit shrinks in April
Canada's trade deficit drastically declined in April from a month prior, clocking in lower than analysts had expected as the nation's trade...
- UPS Teamsters ready to strike as contract end looms
Members of the Teamsters union employed by UPS and UPS Freight have authorized their respective negotiating committees to call a strike if ...
|JUNE 7, 2018|
- Oil recovery pushes ICE August Brent above $77/b
Oil futures rebounded Thursday as the combination of dollar weakness and equity strength helped prevent further declines.
- Iraq to rebuild tanker fleet, eyes oil sales on delivered basis
After decades without its own vessels, Iraq is looking to rebuild its tanker fleet under the Iraq Oil Tanker Company, paving the way for sales of crude on a delivered basis.
- Singapore HSFO cracks ease following near seven-month high
Singapore high sulfur fuel oil cracks eased back Thursday after hitting near six-month highs Wednesday due to softer crude prices and supply tightness in the physical market.
- Med/North spread at 2-year high on tight availability
The Med/North spread -- the differential between 3.5% FOB Mediterranean cargoes and 3.5% FOB Rotterdam barges -- Wednesday hit its highest level for June in over two years.
- 3.5% HSFO Platts MOC barge traded volumes rise on closed arb east
The volume traded in the Platts Market on Close assessment process for 3.5% fuel oil FOB Rotterdam barges this week increased as a closed arb east and a strong backwardation encouraged selling, sources said.
- FUTURES: Oil up on geopolitical events
Oil prices remain supported by robust global demand, tighter production and shrinking inventories, Phillip Futures analyst said.
- REFINERY NEWS: Unions threaten fresh blockade of Lukoil's ISAB, Eni's Versalis
The unions did not provide any timeframe on when the blockades might start.
- SUBSCRIBER NOTE: Platts to launch Murban differential to Dubai
Murban is one of the five grades deliverable into the Platts Dubai crude oil benchmark, alongside Oman, Upper Zakum and Al-Shaheen.