|MARCH 22, 2018|
- Colombo box traffic soars 16.4pc in January to 564,155 TEU
- Navy divers help recover jettisoned boxes after Karachi ship collision
- Tax break sends FedEx profit up 268pc to US$2.07 billion as sales rise 10pc
- Seattle-Tacoma box volume increases 6pc in February to 279,488 TEU
- Fierce rivalry breaks out between Hyundai and SM Line for shippers
- Blockaded Qatar Hamad Port hits million TEU milestone in record time
- MSC starts rail freight service from Spain to Portugal April 4
- DP World and Indian fund acquire 90pc of multimodal logistics firm
- China Merchants shareholders agree take 50pc of Oz coal port
- US Customs finds 2 tons of Mexican fruit coming to Cincinnati
- Cathay February cargo up 5.9pc in February to 145,800 tonnes
- Hong Kong Air Cargo starts ground transport operation
- FedEx to pour US$1 billion into Memphis hub for e-commerce
- Air cargo security and screening market reports published
|MARCH 21, 2018|
- APL's new IP2 service to directly connect India, the Middle East & five major North European ports
- Maersk Line's revised Asia-Europe network to commence in May
- Shipping has to be ready for the future, says IMO Secretary-General
- Customs duty on sugar export reduced from 20 pc to zero pc
- US initiates WTO complaint against India over export subsidy programmes
- Chennai Port crosses 50 mt throughput for fiscal & achieves new high in container handling
- Deendayal Port Trust attains another cargo handling high
- DP World holds talks with Tata Group on opportunities for cooperation
- PSA International registers impressive performance in 2017
- 24x7 Direct Port Entry/Direct Port Delivery permitted at CONCOR, Tondiarpet
- Blockchain tech seen resolving inefficiencies in India's current trade finance system, says study
- Draft Agriculture Export Policy put up in the public domain
- Encouraging trends seen in global trade: WTO Director-General
|MARCH 22, 2018|
- Paskov terminal boosts capacity to 5,000 teu
- All the facts and figures at a glance
- MCL Logistics joins European giant Palletways
- Sky high hopes: new civil aviation minister in India
- Nolinor - where it's seriously cold...
- And 2017's rising star is...the port of Barcelona
- Pacific Harbor Line celebrates 20th anniversary
- Named: FSC business development manager
- Gruber investing in new vehicles
- APL jumps on Pakistan bandwagon
- Meeting the minister one year before Brexit
- Handover at Hutchison
- US class I railroads rejuvenating fleet
- Maersk's Skou sees financial first mate deboard
- Green Xpress Network expands to Lyon
- Turkish Cargo ti buy A330F, flies 1.5 million live fish
|MARCH 21, 2018|
- Star Bulk works with Eco Marine on renewable power
- Euronav calls for further tanker scrapping
- China Merchants Port appoints chairman
- Transas acquisition a first step in Wärtsilä's vision for smart marine ecosystem
- CSSC reportedly to build six mini-Capesizes for Cargill charter
- Orders dry up at US yards
- SM Line seeks co-operation with COSCO Shipping Lines
- More VLCCs go for scrap in face of excess fleet tonnage
- Backlog of ships waits to load at Port of Vancouver
|MARCH 21, 2018|
- Digital evolution of air freight advances with e-Dangerous Goods Declaration
- Heung-A the latest Korean carrier to tell worried shippers: 'We're not sinking'
- Industry's message to Whitehall: UK transport infrastructure is crumbling
- AI and the future of work: will our jobs disappear?
- United suspends pet cargo flights after multiple dog-related incidents
- Strong economy and higher rates boost FedEx quarterly profit
- CFO Andrew Taylor steps up to become CEO at Thomas Miller P&I
- Angela Williams to succeed Andrew Glassman as CSX VP and controller
|MARCH 21, 2018|
- Giant lease sale seen as "modestly active"
- Former L.A. shipyard site may be used build space ships
- Project shows that autonomous ships can meet COLREG rules
- VIDEO: Capsized general cargo ship under tow in English Channel
- MAN and HHI-EMV to build new test engine facility
- U.K.'s Wight Shipyard nabs Mexican high-speed ferry order
- Wärtsilä expands, extends maintenance deal with Crowley
|MARCH 21, 2018|
- Chinese shipbuilder and leasing outfit target more Greek business
SWS and CMB Financial Leasing underline importance of Greek custom to their plans
- Dileton facing legal fight after Saudi tanker seizure
Greek tanker operator says it will vigorously contest compensation claims brought by cargo interests after one of its tankers was...
- Maersk preparing to counter next wave of cyber attacks
Technology chief predicts attacks will escalate from current IT infiltrations to operational interference
- Dorian LPG signs third lease deal in four months
Latest deal increases reliance on alternative financing at the expense of traditional bank loans, while the fate of a $70m...
- Supply chains hit by US intermodal bottlenecks
Carriers introduce emergency intermodal surcharges and cargo owners seek logistics alternatives due to delays at North American ports
- Port capacity 'crucial for UK economy'
Government report highlights need for efficiencies and cross-sector collaboration on technology and innovation, but warns of threats including a rise...
- Thomas Miller to separate chairman and chief executive roles
Wynn-Williams to remain as chairman but will relinquish chief executive duties in favour of chief financial officer Andrew Taylor
- GasLog Partners clinches $207m acquisition of LNG carrier in latest dropdown
GasLog Gibraltar vessel, on long-term charter to Shell, becomes partnership's 13th ship
- Deadlock threatens to undermine Spanish port reforms
The clock is ticking to put reforms into effect, but with unions and port employers at a standstill, the EU...
- China's rising bauxite imports are bullish for bulkers
Guinea in West Africa, which overtook Australia last year as the largest supplier to China, is expected to continue strong...
- Future of finance is in sustainability, says EIB
European Investment Bank official Mark Clintworth argues shipping must clean up its emissions act if it wants financial aid
- Weak tanker markets will 'cure' themselves
Scrapping will reduce supply overhang eventually if owners continue to recycle old tonnage, says Euronav's Rodgers
- Will Li Ka-shing's retirement give Chinese ports giants a chance to buy?
Price might be the only issue but timing is everything
- STX O&S employees to launch strike action tomorrow over fresh job cuts
South Korean shipbuilder expects up to 500 production employees to resign voluntarily
- Is the time ripe for VLCC demolitions?
The narrowing gap between older tonnage and scrap values might lead to further scrapping
- China hits back as US opens trade investigations on dumping
Adoption of trade restrictions could inflict serious damage to multilateral trading system, says commerce ministry
- Ernst Russ offloads Marenave stake on shareholder dispute
Update: Deutsche Balaton plans to acquire the remaining stake in Marenave that it does not own via a mandatory tender...
- Zhuhai Port enters into venture with shipping firm to tap steel demand growth
Joint venture will initially invest $30m on acquiring three multipurpose vessels, comprised of one secondhand and two newbuilds
- Mercator sells panamax to repay debts
Company signs Memorandum of Agreement with a Hong Kong-based firm for $4.3m transaction
|MARCH 21, 2018|
- Uber Freight bolsters capacity with trucker incentives
- Despite record volume, LA-LB productivity metrics stable
- IBM-Maersk blockchain joint venture gains steam
- Asia-Europe demand to lag well behind second quarter capacity
- US shippers focus on 'blocking, tackling' in tough market
- Karachi Port operations resume, after container ship sideswipe
- NY-NJ crane simulators help ensure mega-ship handling
- Capacity-hungry US shippers get closer to truckers
|MARCH 21, 2018|
- Castleton eyes suezmaxes at Corpus Christi
Diversified commodities trading firm makes plans to ship crude oil to Far East.
- Pangaea sees sharp rise in net profit
Quarter-on-quarter growth in net income comes after the 'toughest' dry market company ever experienced.
- Great Eastern nets modern VLGC
Indian shipowner adds to fleet in deal that provides S&P market indicator.
- Navios locks two away as capesize period rates hold ground
New York-listed shipowner ties up one ship on market-beating fixed rate with DHL.
- DNV GL slashes costs as top line tumbles
Leading classification society takes action as revenue slumps.
- Coral Shipping buys Hansa Treuhand tanker
Greek shipowner picks up aframax tanker from fleet of German owner.
- Tidewater brings on two new executives
Restructured OSV owner appoints two vice presidents to bolster management team.
- Spanish shipbreaking figure hits 100
Well known demolition man from Bilbao, Juan Azcune, celebrates reaching a century.
- Capsized vessel is under tow
VIDEO: The 2,300-dwt Britannica Hav (built 1985) is getting towed by the Bee Freedom RIAS a day after turning over as a result of colliding with fishing vessel.
- International Seaways VLCC heading for scrap
New York-listed owner takes another step in fleet renewal process.
- Star Bulk to go green with Eco Marine
Dry bulk shipowner looks to add to environmental reputation in MoU with Japanese power technology firm.
- AHTS rates spikes in North Sea
Recent fixing pushes up spot earnings more than 300%.
- Wilhelmsen looks to catch rising tide in China newbuild market
Shipmanagement arm signs new deal with WestEast Marine Consulting as orders rise.
- Wartsila to keep Crowley ATB's humming
Largest US owner of Jones Act-qualified articulated tug barges extends deal with Wartsila.
- 14 crew missing after dredger capsizes
One seafarer drowned as search launched off Muar, Malaysia.
- Sea Globe poised for hefty profit in second go at sale
Greek owner likely to be in the money if it succeeds in flipping a kamsarmax.
- Trafigura tops up VLGC newbuilding orderbook
Trader has booked two extra LPG carriers in South Korea.
- Aegean and shareholder trio launch settlement talks
Parties aim to resolve dispute over purchase of Dimitris Melissanidis's HEC Europe.
- Dorian LPG lands leaseback deal number three
Transaction boosts cash position and allows the repayment of debt.
- Taylor takes top job at Thomas Miller
CFO steps up to replace chief executive Hugo Wynn-Williams.
- Cargill backing baby-cape series in China
Commodity power reportedly adding to chartered fleet with CSSC sextet.
- GasLog Partners splashes $207m on dropdown LNGC
US-listed owner taking 2016-built vessel from sponsor GasLog.
- Otto Marine goes under court management
Singapore OSV owner sought protection with $877m in liabilities.
- PDVSA aframax released as cargo dispute settled
Venezuelan group agrees deal to free Proteo after three months.
- CMBFL and SWS in Athens to woo Greek shipowners
Chinese leasing house reveals shipping portfolio numbers during Athens presentation.
- Greek owner condemns drunk master after assault charge
Sky Mare says actions of RMS Wanheim captain "stigmatise the whole industry."
- Euronav confident of closing Gener8 deal in first half
Tanker owner remains on track to rubber stamp takeover, report says.
- Marenave fleet plans in doubt as Balaton launches offer
Rebuilding of German owner on hold as investment fund turns it into a "shell company" for now.
- Mercator confirms bulker sold for scrap
Indian owner banks $4.25m for 1997-built veteran.
- ESSA's newbuilding claim rejected by UK court
Mexican owner tried to avoid contract termination costs through possible "gamesmanship" over tender.
- GC Rieber staff lose court case against company
17 ex-workers had sued OSV owner after it liquidated crewing subsidiary.
- Wintermare Offshore dragged down by impairments
Indonesian offshore vessel owner also impacted by weaker charters secured during offshore crisis.
- Cargo ship capsized in English Channel
The 2,300-dwt Britannica Hav (built 1985) capsized after colliding with a Belgian-flagged fishing vessel.
- Blaze extinguished at Singapore tank farm
Local firefighters finally get on top of fire on offshore island after six hour battle.
- Danaos crewman detained over drug smuggling
Drugs found aboard Greek-operated container vessel for the second time in six months.
|MARCH 21, 2018|
- NWSA ups box volumes in February
The Northwest Seaport Alliance (NWSA), which includes the ports of Seattle and Tacoma, handled 279,488 TEUs in February, a 6 percent uptick...
- Trump asks Congress to extend trade authorities
President Donald Trump on Tuesday submitted a formal request to Congress to extend Trade Promotion Authority (TPA), which gives the executi...
- ATA: Truckload driver turnover slows in Q4 2017
The annualized driver turnover rate at large truckload (TL) carriers slid seven percentage points between the third and fourth quarter of 2...
- PSA profits grow on rising revenues, volumes
PSA International reported a net profit of 1.23 billion Singapore (U.S. $936.3 million) for the full year in 2017, a 5.1 percent increase f...
- FedEx beats on earnings, revenues in Q3 FY2018
FedEx Corp. saw its earnings skyrocket 257 percent to $2.07 billion in the third quarter of its fiscal 2018 year, which ended Feb. 28, acco...
- Deeper government unity needed on transnational threats, experts say
The lack of cooperation between federal agencies to combat transnational drug trafficking, terrorism, and organized crime is "unacceptable"...
- Commerce says steel flange imports dumped
The Commerce Department said it has preliminarily determined that stainless steel flange shipments from China and India are being dumped on...
- Florida man pleads guilty to illegal exports
The U.S. Justice Department said Vladimir Nevidomy of Hallandale Beach, Fla., pleaded guilty this week in a Florida district court to consp...
|MARCH 21, 2018|
- Crude rises to six-week high after surprise US stock draw
Crude futures on Wednesday reached highs last seen six weeks ago, climbing sharply for a second straight day
- US Gulf of Mexico Lease Sale 250 fetches $139 million in total bids
The US Gulf of Mexico Lease Sale 250 was modestly active Wednesday
- Permanent OPEC-Russia tie-up yet to progress beyond handshake agreement
OPEC and Russia have yet to exchange any concrete blueprints for continuing their oil market management alliance
- Saudi king to meet with Trump later this year: White House
May 12 is the next deadline for the US to waive oil-related sanctions on Tehran as part of the deal, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
- Trump administration penalizes oil consortiums in South Sudan
The Trump administration Wednesday imposed new export licensing requirements on several oil consortiums operating in South Sudan and controlled by Asian national oil companies.
- US crude stocks at deficit to five-year average: EIA
US crude stocks drew unexpectedly last week, putting inventories at a deficit to the five-year average
- REFINERY NEWS: Cepsa has 'no plans' to close Tenerife permanently
- ISO to publish 0.5% sulfur bunker specification in late 2019
The ISO is developing a PAS for the fuels as an interim measure to give guidance to the bunker and shipping industries in 2020.
- Ship operators need to lock in HSFO supply now for vessels running on scrubbers: sources
Refinery upgrades could restrict HSFO availability.
- FUTURES: Crude continues uptrend on surprise draw in US stocks
"Surprise draw in US crude stocks reported by API has helped prices to stay in bullish territory," an investment analyst at Phillip Futures said.
- Oil traders see further consolidation despite margin pick-up
"We've seen the large banks involved in commodities struggle... we can see some consolidation taking place," Mercuria CEO said.