|MARCH 23, 2018|
- Cosco ports volume up19pc in February to 6.9 million TEU worldwide
- Low volumes prompt truck gate closures at Los Angeles, Long Beach
- Europe to ECSA rebounds to end 3-year slump, revenue growth slows
- DP World Peru acquires logistics group for US$316 million
- Baltimore gets US$20 million federal grant to build logistics hub
- MOL takes on Beluga Ace, first FLEXIE series car carrier
- DHL to set up land, air, ocean freight hub in Vienna
- CITES calls for ongoing efforts to curb trade in endangered species
- IATA predicts freight demand up in 2018 despite peak congestion
- Virgin Atlantic doubles London-Johannesburg service after good year
- WFS expands contract to transport for Qatar Airways in Paris
- Cargojet 4th quarter profits soar 887.5pc to US$18.1 million
|MARCH 22, 2018|
- A.P. Moller-Maersk expands management capacity within digitalisation
- Asia-North Europe post-Chinese New Year capacity outlook
- ECSA & WSC call for revision of Reporting Formalities Directive to improve efficiency of maritime transport
- Pandit Arvind Parikh conferred the Padma Bhushan honour by the President of India
- ZIM registers a strong all-round showing in 2017
- VOC Port achieves new single day handling record at North Cargo Berth-I
- DFC to be commissioned in phases by 2020
- Govt clarifies on e-way bill provisions
- Cabinet approves revision of agreement between India & Qatar for avoidance of double taxation
|MARCH 23, 2018|
- Go north!
- Fresh food for the dinosaurs
- Switzerland amends road charging scheme
- More room for fashion
- Sustainability award for Cargo-partner
- Namsung joins Inttra
- 20 new trailers for hauling white goods
- Six new destinations for Air France KLM Martinair Cargo
- Survey reveals transport inquiry weaknesses
- Zim - stellar results for 2017
- UK gets first all-electric Fuso e-Canter trucks
- Imperial unites under one single flag
- Iata and Pharma.Aero sign MoU
- China Cargo Airlines touches down in Frankfurt
- Bauckham returning to roots
- Waberer's results exceed expectations
- PSA notes almost double-digit box growth in 2017
- New FCL speed train connects Germany and China
|MARCH 22, 2018|
- Kvaerner appoints Karl-Petter Lokken as president and company CEO
- Chinese shipbuilders court Greek owners
- China container volumes grow strongly in February as risk of trade war looms
- ZIM sails to 2017 profit but CEO warns of excess capacity, rising bunkers
- Evergreen Marine to continue fleet expansion
- South Korean shipbuilder Sungdong files for receivership
- Blockchain project aims to bring shipping closer together
- LNG trade patterns shift for Chile and Peru
- Kyklades books two more VLCCs at Hyundai HI
- CPC adopts low-sulphur subsidy at Taiwanese ports
- No request from SM Line for USD47 million to order containers, says South Korea's MOF
|MARCH 22, 2018|
- Customers warned arrival of Maersk Honam containers could be delayed for months
- Freight booking platform 45HC the first to accept cryptocurrency payments
- Restructured ZIM sails back into the black, but final quarter disappointed
- Interim CN chief stays bullish and invests in equipment and staff, but is it enough?
- If sea freight has teu and feu, why doesn't air freight have meu and leu?
- CEVA set to list on Swiss stock exchange
- Tony Bauckham joins Volga-Dnepr UK as commercial director
|MARCH 22, 2018|
- Lloyd's Register Foundation in Maritime Blockchain Labs initiative
- Tidewater adds two to leadership team
- MTU Series 4000 completes IMO Tier III certification testing
- Canada resists move for total ban on HFO in Arctic by 2021
- Saipem to pay $275 million for Lewek Constellation
|MARCH 22, 2018|
- Greek-owned fleet capacity expands by 4% as crude tanker share rises
Last 12 months have seen a slight rise in Greeks' share of world fleet
- Prime Shipping raises ICO target
Russian-Gibraltarian venture aims to raise $150m in total and private sales have begun
- Greek shipping minister sounds alarm for nautical education
Panagiotis Kouroumplis sees upgrade in nautical training and education as vital for Greece's continuing dominance in shipping and to attract...
- Data Hub: World Boxship Fleet Update: 14,000 teu class back in vogue
With the raising of the Bayonne Bridge, the Panama Canal widening and dredging programmes at US east coast ports, vessels...
- Maersk Honam 'highlights importance of cargo insurance'
Unless shippers have purchased 'general average' coverage, they are liable to pay a proportion of the vessel's damage, clean up...
- Lawyers and insurers overrule Maersk on port destination for Honam
Fire on boxship remains under control, but the vessel is still several weeks away from being able to discharge containers
- Time to move on from theorising about distributed ledger technology
Lloyd's Register Foundation has taken the plunge into blockchain technology with a venture that will see three demonstrator projects test...
- European financing is tied to shipping regulations
Finance panel claims regulations are slashing vessel lifetimes and anticipate digitalisation could stabilise asset price volatility
- Liner network changes set to add 8.8% to Asia-Europe capacity
New vessels and loops bring major shake-up to east-west and north-south trades, pointing to downwards pressure on rates or numerous...
- Smells, bells and noisy ships
You may think people who choose to live near ports would have realised that they might be close to ships...
- James Chao named 2018 Lloyd's List Lifetime Achievement winner
Chinese-American entrepreneur and philanthropist recognised for maritime career spanning 50 years at leading dry bulk, trading and financing operation. Book...
- Beijing proposes tariffs on $3bn of US imports
Move comes in response to US plans to slap 25% in duties on up to $60bn in annual imports from...
- Capsized cargo vessel towed to Le Havre
Vessel had overturned on Wednesday after colliding with a fishing boat in the English Channel
- Lloyd's Register Foundation to fund maritime blockchain project
Founding partners set up Maritime Blockchain Labs to understand benefits and pitfalls of distributed ledger technology
- Encrypted blockchain has potential to attract shipping investors
Technology to allow even smaller-scale investors to become a shipowner with a fraction of the assets, according to Marine Chain...
- Zim recovery continues despite weak fourth quarter
Israeli line bounces back into the black for 2017, but warns of volatility and overcapacity as fourth quarter sees losses...
- Wilhelmsen venture gives access to Chinese newbuilding services market
Company to work with local partner in drydock planning and management, scrubber retrofit project management and ballast water treatment project...
- Asia Pacific ports could incur up to $49bn in climate change costs
Asian ports are especially key to the global economy as they occupy nine of the top 10 rankings in terms...
- Star Bulk considers renewable energy use on its fleet
Company partners Eco Marine Power to explore the use of solar panels, batteries and other devices to power bulk carriers
- Maersk's integration goals may pose a challenge
Freight forwarders can work with multiple carriers and offer service packages, something which individual shipping lines cannot achieve, says Tim...
- Sovcomflot posts 2017 losses on weak spot earnings: tanker results round-up
Latest reporting: Sovcomflot, Pyxis, Gener8 and TEN
- Growing US coal exports buoy bulker trade
India's 52% year-on-year rise in imports from the US in February helped increase tonne-miles
|MARCH 22, 2018|
- US shipper spending on surface transport hits historic high
- Russian container shippers: Far East port work too focused on bulk
- Bangladesh's VAT repeal sets stage for more feeder services
- Encouraged by GDP growth, DP World amps up India investment
- China top ports volume surging amid trade war fears
- Record 2017 volume leads ZIM back to profitability
|MARCH 22, 2018|
- Johnson out at Borr after Paragon deal
Borr Drilling announces that it will put its chief operating officer as interim CEO.
- Seafarer wellbeing counts for little without basic conditions
Ensuring crew are healthy and thriving is not about shipowners showing altruism, but acting in enlightened self-interest to embed safety standards and drive efficiencies
- Caution at Lloyd's after marine loss escalates
London insurance veteran warns soft market will test syndicates' resolve
- Prestige compensation issue still 'far from resolved'
- Rickmers foundation set up to study social change
- Borealis swallows six-ship fleet from Soundview
- IRISL set to rock boat on Asia-Middle East trade
Iran's national carrier is poised to disrupt the delicate balance of trade as it takes delivery of its biggest ever boxships - doubling capacity
- South Korean yards court Zvezda deal
- Gail set to tender for LNG carrier
- GM&T charters newbuilding for Cameroon FLNG
- Hoegh FSRU linked to CNOOC time charter
- LNG charter rates slide on slack market conditions
Broker BRS says LNG market players might need to 'temper expectations' this year
- Tsakos banks on LNG carriers to be his 'Teslas'
New York-listed tanker owner sees diversity as key to longevity amid anniversary event
- No major worldwide rise for OSV term charters
- Owners must get serious about OSV scrapping - Tidewater
The fourth quarter alone saw 16 Tidewater vessels sold for scrap compared with 28 demolished over the past four years combined
- Bibby's merger said to lack 'compelling industrial logic'
Some view the merger of Bibby and Rever as convenient for York Capital - but not strategic
- Fanning says Tidewater will get to cash flow break-even or 'die trying'
- Seatrade court ruling sends 'clear' message on scrap sales
Shipowners will find it difficult to defend demolition sales of European vessels to South Asian yards after Rotterdam court rules waste export laws apply
- Insurers target misdeclaration as containership fires rage on
Misdeclaration of cargoes is the largest single cause of boxship fires, but can ship operators find a solution?
- ISU sees year-on-year rise in salvage work
- CSCL Jupiter snap is a winner
- Low-key CMA Commodore Chao juggles several hats with grace
Sabrina Chao talks about the future of Wah Kwong Maritime Transport Holdings, the push to promote Hong Kong as a maritime centre and life as a leading woman in shipping
- DryShips poised to sell off another vintage panamax
- Minoa expands panamax fleet with first buy in three years
- Cruiseship converters design mobile homes for millennials
Two Australian real-estate professionals plan to convert a pair of cruiseships into long-term homes, where residents vote on ports of call via an app
- Two obsolete cruiseships sold for scrapping at Alang breakers
- S&P mystery solved as rare Greek buyer emerges
Equinox Maritime makes first foray into secondhand market for six years
- Sale indicates supramax values uncertainty
- Italian owner's strong price for kamsarmax
- Ageing bulker sale set to make sense for Lomar
- Creditors want ad in TradeWinds
- Gener8 shareholders go to court to halt Euronav deal
Class-action lawsuits allege Gener8's private equity backers put their interests ahead of those of public shareholders
- Maersk Tankers says new owners were drawn in by fresh strategy
- Digitally focused Maersk Tankers looking to push industry paradigm
Chief executive Christian M Ingerslev explains how the company will approach business under new private ownership
- Contships gets lucky second time around on feeder pair
- Minerva unveiled as new entrant in LNG shipping
Greek owner becomes first newcomer this year to make a break for gas as talk of cut-price deals starts to bump up orderbook
- SSY snuggles up closer to Clarksons
- Gunvor claims 'politics' behind Chinese smuggling allegations
Chinese charterers arrest MR2 tanker saying Pan Ocean went along with 2016 tax evasion scheme
- Dileton faces $33m claim over alleged Yemeni arms smuggling
Saudi Arabia has held a Dileton Maritime MR tanker for nearly a year after concluding it was used for smuggling military grade explosives - and now the ship's last charterer is arresting Dileton's bulkers
- BP invites bids for IMO 2020-ready suezmaxes
- Kyklades Maritime orders pair of VLCC newbuildings
Greek shipowner returns to South Korean yard giant for large tankers, while the company's aframax tanker newbuildings at Sungdong may never get built
- Maersk Tankers and CargoMetrics target data-based trading signals
- Loukopoulos fights arrest over tanker mortgages
Oxygen Maritime, which controls four modern tankers from George Kassiotis' Omega Navigation fleet, is fighting off an auction sale - and getting support from some of its creditors
- Twin hires hint at larger shipping future for BTIG
With veteran analysts Ole Slorer and Gregory Lewis thought to be onboard, boutique bank looks set to ramp up its maritime business
- Duo lifts Rickmers boxship orderbook in China to eight
Beleaguered owner makes a private investment in two more newbuildings at Fujian Mawei as he seeks to bounce back
- Doubts over Trump summit's $26bn ethane shipping deal
Little-known US company linked to Russians has big plans for exports to China, but analysts are expressing scepticism, with one describing it as 'a long shot'
- Triple Chinese kamsarmax sale in limbo
Greece's Times Navigation makes top bid for Zhejiang Materials Industry (ZMI) trio.
- DNV Foundation paid $1.5bn to buy out German partner
Media report reveals huge sum paid by to acquire DNV GL.
|MARCH 22, 2018|
- BIMCO's Sand calls trade restrictions a 'worrying trend'
BIMCO Chief Shipping Analyst Peter Sand said Thursday - on the eve of the United States beginning to implement 25 percent tariffs on steel ...
- NEWS FLASH: Trump officially signs off on China tariffs
President Donald Trump on Thursday formally ordered the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) to publish proposed tariff increases...
- Khouri discusses competition with Japanese regulators
The U.S. Federal Maritime Commission's Acting Chairman Michael Khouri has concluded a trip to Tokyo this week where he attended the Fourth ...
- U.S. to impose $50b in tariffs against China
The U.S. is teeing up tariffs covering approximately $50 billion worth of products from China across 1,300 tariff lines, pursuant to a seve...
- ATA: Truck tonnage snaps growth streak in February
Domestic truck tonnage snapped its sequential growth streak in February 2018, sliding 2.6 percent from the previous month, but rose 5.7 per...
- YMM, OOCL and ONE to launch joint intra-Asia loop
Ocean carriers Yang Ming Marine, Orient Overseas Container Line (OOCL) and Ocean Network Express (ONE) will launch a new joint intra-Asia s...
- Executive Moves: CSX and Volga-Dnepr UK
CSX has appointed Angela C. Williams vice president and controller. She succeeds Andrew L. Glassman , who is leaving the railroad, effectiv...
|MARCH 22, 2018|
- Cenovus cuts oil sands production on lack of market access
Canada's Cenovus Energy is curtailing oil sands production to cut losses
- PDVSA using Russian Urals crude to meet supply deals
The dramatic fall in Venezuelan crude oil production is pushing state-owned company PDVSA to rely on crude imports to meet some of it supply commitments.
- US investment in Mexican upstream at stake in NAFTA talks: GOP lawmakers
Scrapping or weakening NAFTA's investor protections would hamper US investment in the Mexican upstream and cross-border oil and gas pipelines, more than 100 Republican lawmakers urged the Trump administration this week
- Oil pulled down by softer equities, China tariffs
The oil complex reversed lower Thursday as profit-taking, weaker equities and renewed concerns over retaliatory trade measures ended a two-day rally
- Tenerife bunker demand gains 9.5% in 2017
Marine fuel demand at the island of Tenerife in the Canaries jumped by 9.5% last year
- Cepsa sees 2020 0.5% S bunker prices $110-$130/mt below MGO
Cepsa plans to make a single 0.5% sulfur fuel of about 200 CST in viscosity for the marine market in 2020, Berenguer told S&P Global Platts.
- External: Global Risk Management
- Lloyd's Register Foundation, BLOC set up maritime blockchain lab
To look at using block chain to address safety challenges in the sector.
- FUTURES 1: Crude stable, holds on to support from US stock draw
Draw saw prices surge overnight to close to six-week highs.