|MARCH 29, 2018|
- Moore Stephens: Shipping confidence hits four-year high
- MSC takes Vega Reederei box ship Kia Ora off charter after Australian ban
- Bernhard Schulte's Robert Maxwell loses battle with cancer
- NYK Line to develop LNG-fuelled bulk carrier with Oshima
- Alpha Gas books LNG carrier pair at DSME
- Sungdong to sell or lease out shipyards
- ONE CEO prepares for container alliance launch
- Japan Marine United saw order surge in 2017
- MUFG's leasing unit orders VLGC at Hyundai HI
- Consolidation wave hits Japanese shipbuilders
- Itochu enters container segment with KMTC charter
- Japan looks to renewables to solve the carbon conundrum
- Japanese bulk carriers come back from the brink
|MARCH 29, 2018|
- CEVA plaintiffs get injection of hope from appointment of tough judge and IPO
- Airfreight rates boost endorses forecast for continued strong demand for capacity
- Hapag-Lloyd stays in the black, but fourth-quarter operating result slumps
- DX Express 'still on course' for recovery despite poor half-year for freight division
- Amazon loses $5bn in market value after Donald Trump threatens 'to go after it'
- Easter eggs: an amazingly tasty supply chain
- Chris Welsh retires after 36 years with the FTA and plans consultancy
|MARCH 29, 2018|
- Bollinger delivers FRC 28
- Seven more Majestic Fast Ferry cats to be MTU powered
- BOEM moves ahead on Vineyard Wind EIS
- Eagle LNG, Crowley team to supply LNG via ISO container to Puerto Rico
- Conrad reports loss making year and quarter
- Wärtsilä submits EC based BWMS for USCG Type Approval
- LPG-fueled EXMAR tankers to have MAN B&W ME-LGIP engines
- Test shows WinGD X-DF can burn natural gas and VOC fuel mix
- VIDEO: MOL ARC7 icebreaking LNG carrier goes to work at Yamal
|MARCH 29, 2018|
- Pirates target fishing vessel off Ghana
The abduction follows the kidnapping of fishermen off Nigeria last week and attacks against merchant vessels in the Gulf
- China Merchants Port throughput set to grow up to 8% in 2018
Company's container handling rises 7.4% to 102.9m teu in 2017, while net profit gains 9.7% to about $760m
- S&P activity may revive after a slow first quarter
Dry bulk and container shipping assets may change hands more often on weak values while bargain hunters can look at...
- Key report still pending one year on from Stellar Daisy loss
Market participants wait for official report from Marshall Islands in order to understand what happened and apply measures to prevent...
- And we want the IMO to solve climate change?
The top six flag states at the IMO have more than 50% of world tonnage, yet account for just 0.5%...
- Maersk Honam blaze set to generate record general average loss
All shippers with cargo still on the vessel will be liable for damage proportion unless they have general average coverage
- There is nothing wrong with the IMO fee structure
IMO agreements are made on the basis of consensus by all member states
- Cosco eyes methanol, ethanol and ethane shipping
Move is part of the company's strategy to become an all-rounder tanker player amid volatile oil shipping markets
- The Interview: Grahaeme Henderson
While overseeing one of the world's largest shipping operations, Grahaeme Henderson always enjoy stressing his part in enhancing safety over...
- Global Shippers Forum's Chris Welsh to retire
Shippers' champion stands down from roles at both GSF and FTA
- Flag states putting lives at risk by failing to report bulk carrier casualty investigations
IMO urged to take action against flag states' continued flouting of its mandatory Casualty Investigation Code
- Viewpoint: Making connections
There are lessons to be learnt about the power of wind and tide to render even big modern ships helpless
- Liodden tackles sustainability and diversity after Nor-Shipping tenure
Former Nor-Shipping director will take up a new post as a sustainability chief at an as-yet-unnamed company
- Five things to watch: LPG shipping
LPG shipping markets may gradually recover this year on US exports and slowing fleet growth
- MSC better than Maersk in UK gender pay gap
The world's two largest containership operators pay women significantly less than men in the UK with average hourly rates between...
- Bob Maxwell, managing director of BSM Singapore, dies at 56
Shipping veteran devoted time to promoting professional development of shore personnel and cadets
- First US LNG shipment to India due
Sailing springs from a contract between Indian state-owned gas utility Gail and Cheniere Energy's Sabine Pass liquefaction facility
|MARCH 29, 2018|
- US ports, freight network get federal funding boost
- NYSA, truckers: Reviving truck ban would hurt NY-NJ
- Trade war, new capacity threaten carrier earnings growth
- SeaLand's new Gulf-Central America service to emphasize reliability
- Delayed US resin export boom set to arrive this year
- Truck congestion at JNPT delays containers at APM Terminals
|MARCH 29, 2018|
- Exmar results fall on LPG, finance charge
Antwerp-based diversified energy shipping firm also sees LPG results weaken, but asset sales provide relief.
- Scrubbers to earn owners profits
Not many owners are fitting scrubbers to comply with the 2020 fuel regulation but those that do could be raking in the profits
- Diana Shipping explores $125m Norway bond sale
US-listed Greek owner has survived extended trough without financing gymnastics, but Oslo market has caught its attention during upturn
- Scorpio in seamless transfer of Navig8 financing on 17 tankers
Owner takes on sale-leasebacks and conventional bank financing with original lenders, with only one principal payment required to meet covenant terms
- New flights agency promises cut-price crew tickets
- Breakwave dry bulk ETF aims to open FFAs to new investors
New York financial services firm aims to use the popularity of exchange traded funds to bring freight futures to a broader investment community
- MSC returns to yards with a fresh take on boxships
Shipowner appears to have had a change of heart on fuelling choices as it pursues LNG option over scrubbers
- HMM boxship tender pushed back due to political pressures
- Bunnemann boxship sale marks neo-panamax exit
German owner plans to diversify further into dry bulk as it sells last large containership to expanding Danish fund
- Transmed linked to kamsarmax in first S&P deal of 2018
- Ports remind shipping industry of need for sustainable growth
Lessons can be learned from new port initiative that highlights the importance of all future growth needing to be sustainable economically, environmentally and socially
- Hyundai Mipo Dockyard lands boxship order from Itochu
- Mitsui inks newbuildings in China and Philippines
Trader orders capesize bulkers at Yangzijiang and containerships at Tsuneishi
- TS Lines inks two feeder newbuilds at CSBC Corp
Latest containerships are the same design to four vessels the carrier ordered at the Taiwanese yard in 2015 and 2016
- Great Eastern buying second LPG carrier in as many weeks
- Pakistan's Bahria opens talks on FSRU for new import terminal
- Woodside seeks LNGBV for Green Corridor bulkers
- Knutsen set to firm up second Endesa LNG ship
- North West Shelf puts LNG carrier fleet on sales block
Raft of vessels could set new benchmark prices for rare secondhand LNG carrier sales
- Turkish powerships readied with regas for LNG supply
Karpowership buys in regasification kits as it gears up to grow its vessels' capabilities beyond the use of pipeline gas
- BW LPG fixes VLGC on shock period charter with Petrobras
- VLGC spot freight rates hit six-month daily low of $8k
Fewer trading opportunities and lower US inventories result in less cargo activity
- CGG names Zurqzuyah as new chief
- SeaBird puts seismic ship to work on another 30-day contract
- Offshore demolition hits a peak as owners bite bullet
More offshore support vessels are going to breakers' yards, with a 153% increase in scrapping so far this year
- Saudi vessel seizures causing civilians to suffer - UN panel
Officials using arms smuggling charges to justify illegal interference with innocent merchant shipping to Yemen, claims Greek shipowner Dileton, while a UN panel says the blockage is hurting people
- Dileton says arms smuggling accusations are trumped up
- Maersk Honam set for Jebel Ali refuge
- Zodiac reaches settlement to end demo yard compensation fight
Shipowner's potential liability for injury sustained during shiprecycling will not be tested in UK courts
- State underpins Chinese firms' run of salvage work
A major wreck removal has been lined up for Guangzhou Salvage as government-controlled group increases market share
- IMO member nations gear up for crunch talks on low-carbon future
Accused of moving too slowly so far, regulators are set to hand shipowners a series of CO2 goals
- IMO meetings need to overcome deep splits on CO2 targets
- World ports commit to sustainable growth
- Liberian Registry gets new top man at the top in Singapore
- Attritional claims a worry as premium cash shrinks
- Surfer stands tall after paddling the Skagerrak
- Smaller tankers head to breakers as VLCC scrap sales cool
- Ionic raises tanker stakes with Mitsubishi fleet deal
Greek company concludes transformational $110m purchase of Japanese aframax quartet
- Latest salvo in Trump's escalating trade war creates shipping risk
US action against China and selection of a hawkish national security advisor raise questions about market impact
- Juice carrier job squeezed for time
Demand is increasing for orange juice tankers, but owners are expected to prefer the speed of delivery and price of Chinese conversions to more costly European or South Korean newbuildings
- Almi forges $60m deal as VLCC charterers look long
US trader locks in pair of newbuilds on charters of three years, as Shell also books tonnage in term deal
- Clearlake ties up second MR tanker of month
- 2020 Bulkers sees value rise of New Times newcastlemaxes
- NRP to buy German handysize
- Bocimar post-panamax bulker fetches firm price
- SCI offloads elderly passenger/cargo ship onto breakers
- Briese Schiffahrt shells out $50m on latest fleet update
Four more acquisitions for German MPP and heavylift owner takes tally of S&P transactions to about 50 in three years
- MPP market sees big names return as heavylift S&P rises
A slow-burning recovery in the multipurpose sector is tempting buyers of secondhand ships and pushing up prices
|MARCH 29, 2018|
- Drewry's Moreno examines transpacific container shipping outlook
If there is not a trade war, Asia to United States container shipments will grow by 6.8 percent this year, while shipments from the U.S. to...
- U.S. to suspend Rwanda apparel benefits under AGOA
Starting May 28, the U.S. will suspend Rwanda's duty-free benefits under the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) for apparel exports,...
- Shell Oil seeks to upgrade L.A. terminal
The Port of Los Angeles is preparing an environmental review of a Shell Oil Co.-operated marine terminal, as the company plans to seek a new...
- Executive Moves: TOTE and Global Shippers' Forum
TOTE Inc. said that Anthony Chiarello , its president and chief executive officer, will retire this summer after eight years at the helm of...
- Georgia Ports breaks ground on intermodal terminal
The Georgia Ports Authority (GPA) broke ground on construction of its Mason Mega Rail Terminal this week, which will double the Port of Sav...
- Trump goes after Amazon again
President Donald Trump on Thursday renewed attacks on the e-commerce giant Amazon, suggesting the company shirks its tax-paying responsibil...
- JaxPort cargo volumes rise amid Puerto Rico recovery
The Port of Jacksonville handled 100,346 TEUs in February 2018, a 25 percent increase compared with the same month a year ago, according to...
- FRA accepting comments on rail automation
The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) is accepting comments through May 7 on the future of railroad industry automation, the agency ann...
- Trump asks Congress for $1.5t infrastructure plan
President Donald Trump is asking Congress to come up with a 10-year $1.5 trillion infrastructure investment plan that only uses $200 billio...
|MARCH 29, 2018|
- Mediterranean HSFO market seen stronger in April after weak Q1
- Istanbul port, Bosporus reopen on improving weather: sources
- OPEC coalition deal 'positive' for global markets, Russian oil industry: Novak
- Intertanko plans to submit ballast water contingency measures to IMO
These include fixing the BWM system at the ballast loading port, fixing the system enroute to the port, and performing a mid-ocean ballast water exchange.
- Brent/Dubai crude EFS hits 44-month high on strong Brent prices
Middle East geopolitical tensions, falling US crude inventories and growing global demand have contributed to stronger Brent prices.
- Singapore HSFO cracks regain losses after hitting 19-month lows
Rising crude prices have been a strong reason for cracks to touch multi-month lows, sources said.
- Libyan crude appeal starts to broaden in Asia
Higher flows to Asia are also supported by the steady rise in Libyan crude oil exports this year.
- VLCC demolition surges as freight market plumbs new lows
More VLCC tankers vessel have been scrapped so far this year than the last two years combined.
- Petronas and Saudi Aramco finalize RAPID refinery JVs
Under the agreement, Saudi Aramco will supply 50 percent of the crude feedstock with the option of increasing it to 70 percent.