|JANUARY 11, 2021|
- 'The containership business is expected to achieve a significant increase in profits'
- A.P. Moller-Maersk increases sustainable rail transport alternatives
- APM Terminals sets all-time volume records in Denmark
- CEVA Logistics accelerates expansion in Africa with acquisition of ASTI Group in Morocco
- THE Alliance network to improve Asian services
- Wan Hai Lines launches new intra-Asia service
- DGTR probing export subsidisation of aluminium product by Malaysia
- Abu Dhabi Ports freezes rent escalation during 2021 for businesses in its Industrial Cities & Free Zone cluster
- Cargo movement seen still affected by Covid disruptions
- Mansukh Mandaviya visits Mumbai Port, holds meetings with key officials
- Port of Antwerp testing innovative technology for autonomous shipping
- Visakha Container Terminal to complete expansion project & more than double capacity this year
- Railways expediting construction & completion of Dedicated Freight Corridors
- Economy seen showing decisive signs of V-shaped recovery
- India's GDP growth to rebound by 8.9 pc in 2021-22: IHS Markit
- First Appellate Authority
- Indian seafarers stuck in China coming back this week: Mandaviya
|JANUARY 12, 2021|
- Arabian airspace closure lifted
- More services to Sweden
- Czech carrier to modernise fleet
- Bison moves to new pastures
- Mabkargo's first charter flight of 2021
- CSA2020 names new executive director
- Rijeka hits record mark
- BLG wins contract for fashion logistics
- UAE lays track in Al Dhafrah
- Amsterdam airport restructures again
- Hyderabad-Dubai Covid-19 vaccines corridor
- New equipment for the Port of Ashdod
- East Med service reaches Northern Range
- Blind spot warning stickers in France
- Warehouse deal closed in Madrid
- "Curiosity of the Day"
- Large-scale testing in Frankfurt
- Kuuchi returns
|JANUARY 11, 2021|
- More misery for shippers with return of bunker surcharges on the radar
- Freighter aircraft conversion market warming up - but it could overheat
- Lack of info on box contents stalling unloading operations on ONE Apus
- To avoid delays, UK truckers need negative Covid tests before they reach Kent
- Strong US surface transport market augurs more cost pain for shippers
- Shipping line reliability and accountability now 'a thing of the past'
- FloraHolland accused of patent infringement of flower storage technology
- Supply chain radar: Club deals
|JANUARY 11, 2021|
- Carnival CFO: We've enough liquidity to get through 2021, even with zero revenues
Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) today reported a U.S. GAAP net loss of $2.2 billion and adjusted net loss of $1.9 billion for the fourth quarter of 2020. The
- All American Marine books research vessel contract
Bellingham, Wash., shipbuilder All American Marine has won a contract to construct a research vessel for Bluetide Puerto Rico. The 73-foot by 26.7-foot aluminum catamaran, will be constructed to USCG Subchapter T
- UltraShip opts for Wärtsilä Fleet Operations Solution
Gentofte, Denmark, based UltraShip is to install the Wärtsilä Voyage Fleet Operations Solution (FOS) across its entire fleet of 18 LPG tankers. The solution automatically optimizes the route and speed of vessels,
- Huntington Ingalls makes promotion at Ingalls Shipbuilding
Huntington Ingalls Industries (NYSE: HII) reports that Keith Munn has been promoted to vice president, business management, and chief financial officer for Ingalls Shipbuilding. In his new role, he will be responsible
- Wärtsilä picks Corvus Energy for Harvey Gulf battery retrofits
Corvus Energy reports that it has received an order from Wärtsilä for four energy storage systems (ESS) for installation in offshore support vessels operated by New Orleans headquartered Harvey Gulf International Marine.
- Great Lakes Dredge books contracts worth over $60 million
Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Corporation (NASDAQ:GLDD) today reported the receipt of several major dredging awards totaling $60.9 million that will be included in the company's year-end 2020 backlog number. The awarded
- No Nor-Shipping in 2021
There will be no Nor-Shipping event in Norway this June. The organizers have taken the decision to postpone the exhibition and its associated activity program, pushing the event back to January 10-13,
|JANUARY 11, 2021|
- KSOE wins $182m twin VLCC order
KSOE is a major builder of VLCCs, having won 65% of the total orders for this vessel type in 2020...
- Global gas production down 3.6% in 2020 but LNG demand set to grow
Still, global natural gas production is expected to grow by 24% to 4.9trn cu m in 2040, Rystad said, with most...
- IMO appoints Hoenders as emissions policy chief
Mr Hoenders had been acting head of the department since early 2020 and was recently confirmed as permanent head, responsible...
- Lloyd's Register assembles decarbonisation advisory panel
Lloyd's Register taps Maersk, Carnival and Orsted representatives as well as government and NGO experts as first members of its...
- Capesizes lead dry bulk gains
Healthy enquiries and tight tonnage in both basins were cited as reasons for the continued upswing in the capesize segment...
- US designates Yemen's Houthis as a terrorist group
The US decision is designed to deter outsiders from transacting with the Iran-backed rebels. But there are fears the move...
- Aon launches fuel insurance hedge policy for shipping
'If you are a smaller operator without the sophistication to go into the fuel purchasing strategy markets, this provides low...
- Widening fuel spreads will benefit scrubber users
Narrow fuel spreads through 2020 lengthened the payback time for scrubber investments to beyond three years. With fuel spreads expected...
- Shippers warned to prepare for bunker surcharge increase
The pandemic-driven fall in the price of oil mitigated the impact of new sulphur rules introduced in the past year...
- Yangzijiang wins orders for four ultramax newbuilds from Meghna Group
Delivery is scheduled for between the second half of 2022 and first half of 2023. A regular ultramax dry bulker...
- Daily Briefing
Free to read: Regulation is key to shipping's green push, Lloyd's List survey finds | Container lines: Profiting or profiteering...
- Relief for crew of bulker stranded off China for six months
With the vessel Jag Anand about to resolve its crewing situation, elsewhere, the MSC-owned Anastasia is the other vessel with...
|JANUARY 11, 2021|
- Chassis shortages in Chicago worsen amid record volumes
- More US importers signing trans-Pac contracts earlier
- Cautious ro-ro carriers reactivating idled ships on firmer market
- Post-Brexit parcel delays expected despite new UK-EU trade deal
- Outlook 2021: Fast-rising US truckload rates could reverse course in 2021
|JANUARY 11, 2021|
- South Korea's DSME misses newbuilding order target for 2020
- Matson expects much higher profit off China business
- T Rowe Price boosts Seacor Holdings stake amid $1bn buyout
- US-listed shipping stocks start new year with a roar after tepid 2020
- Crude tankers stay in the doldrums with no pressure to charter
- Gibson: a tale of "two halves" in 2021 tanker market again, but in a reverse way
- Scorpio Bulkers sells 31st vessel with lease ties to Ocean Yield
- CMA CGM third boxship company hit with patent infringement suit
- Diana Shipping fixes post-panamax bulker to SwissMarine at higher rate as market rises
- Carnival losses total $10.2bn during 2020 pandemic shutdown
- Nor-Shipping postponed until 2022 due to worsening pandemic
- Transocean renews bulker fleet by buying four-year-old kamsarmax
- Zim chases 'proper chance' to break shipping's 5-year IPO drought in New York
- Spot market for capesize bulkers starts week up by 16%, lifting Baltic Dry Index
- Maersk Tankers unveils new head of human resources in diversity drive
- 'New industrial adventure': Knutsen OAS heads for offshore wind market
- Genco Shipping's top shareholder files to sell more than half of its stake
- Vega Reederei and Conoship scaling up vanadium battery power plan
- Coral Shipping linked to purchase of its youngest aframax ever as DSD sells
- Union Marine makes capesize debut with purchase of sole Eregli ship
- Woodchip carrier holed after backing into pier in Argentina
- Berge Bulk buys capesize as expansion efforts continue
- Insurance experts see 'receding' chances of general average in ONE Apus casualty
- Dirty tanker fixtures down 16% in 2020 amid virus disruptions, Poten says
- Eurotankers said to offload VLCC in surprise recycling deal
- Rem switches PSV into wind sector and fixes newbuild to Siemens
- Twenty years after General Maritime, Peter Georgiopoulos takes a different view on public markets
- 'It's important that everybody sees themselves as a role model for someone' - Temi Binitie
- Hapag-Lloyd boxship boarded by pirates off Colombia
- VLGC spot earnings push beyond $110,000 as inefficiencies linger
- Hyundai yards rake in newbuilding deals worth up to $673m
- Aon launches fuel price insurance to help shipping manage risk
- Stop politicising Hankuk Chemi seizure, Iran tells top South Korean diplomat
- Wakashio stern section to be removed by end of January
- KiwiRail selects Hyundai Mipo to build ferry duo
- Tufton Oceanic Assets makes first tanker buy after reorganisation
Published 11 January 2021 8:43 GMT
- Energyfund Sweden reveals three tanker sales as it looks to wind sector
- Cosmoship Maritime breaks into VLCCs with former Minerva Marine ship
- Italian shipyard ditches recycling plans as it resells Costa cruiseship to Turkey
- Trafigura focuses on charters after cutting emissions from own ships
- Stolt Tankers approaches renewal decision after CTG fleet buy
- Hiring thaw solves staffing issue as Stolt and Essberger seal merger
- Seafarer arrested for trying to avoid Australian quarantine
- Floatel International secures new contracts and debt lock-up agreement
- Capesize bulker sector unfazed by China's plan for less crude steel
- Great Eastern bulker set to leave after seven months stuck off China
|JANUARY 11, 2021|
- South Carolina Ports continues riding volume wave
The opening of the Hugh K. Leatherman Terminal and deepening of Charleston Harbor are expected to make for an even brighter 2021.
- New world record set for shipping rates: $350,000 per day
An LNG ship is now earning more than any other vessel in history. Extreme weather in Asia has propelled LNG rates into the stratosphere.
- Titan Airways to operate world's second A321 converted freighter
A new type of air cargo plane is entering the market to much fanfare. The Airbus A321 has many capabilities. Titan Airways is getting the...
- Career Tracks: Dachser promotes CFO Eling to CEO
Dachser promotes Burkhard Eling to CEO; GlobalTranz hires Bryan Foe as SVP; the Containerization & Intermodal Institute appoints Randy Bayles to its board; and Illinois...
- Don't expect rate relief from container-ship order spike
Even after a wave of just-ordered container ships is delivered by yards, cargo shippers are unlikely to see lower freight rates.
|JANUARY 11, 2021|
- Crude rally stalls amid fresh lockdowns, stronger dollar
Pandemic-related demand concerns weighed on gasoline cracks.
- IEA plans 'roadmap' to 2050 net-zero emissions ahead of COP26 summit: Birol
**Structural decline in emissions, oil demand unlikely post-pandemic **IEA/UK clean energy summit in March paves way to COP26
- AMERICAS BUNKERS: Key market indicators Jan. 11-15
**Panama pricing takes direction from firming USGC values **Vancouver seeing demand fundamentals improve **Houston spot 0.5%S markets dealing with supply issues: sources
- Northern Sea Route 2020 cargo volumes rise 4.6% on year: Rosatom
Route closed to shipping for about half the year.
- EMEA light ends: Key market indicators
European gasoline and naphtha flat prices have hit highs not seen since the start of the coronavirus pandemic as strength in crude oil alongside gasoline and petrochemical demand have helped lift the complex.
- REFINERY NEWS: Estonia drops plans for new shale oil refinery
Following a feasibility study, Estonia's Eesti Energia and shale oil producer Viry Keemia Group have decided to stop a project to build a new shale oil refinery
- Norway oil and gas industry says CO2 tax hike will require mitigation
**Extra tax take should be earmarked for industry help **Tax hike represents "substantial cost increase" **Government promises offsetting tax reductions
- UAE reopens sea border with Qatar after ending trade embargo
The UAE has resumed business via air, land or sea with Qatar and any previous circulars issued by the UAE Maritime Administration relating to restrictions on dealing with Qatar have been abolished, the Port of Fujairah Authority said in a notice to mariners on Jan 8.
- REFINERY NEWS ROUNDUP: More companies in Europe eye green hydrogen
ITM Power and Orsted will conduct a feasibility study to produce green hydrogen at offshore wind farms in Europe as part of a consortium that has received EU funding, ITM Power said.
- Goldman sees Brent hitting $65/b by mid-2021 on sharp demand rebound
Vaccine roll-out seen triggering demand boost.
- Iran signs 8 more oil projects as part of plan to boost output by 355,000 b/d
**Iran pumped avg 2.03 million b/d in 2020: S&P Global Platts **Latest new projects set to add 95,000 b/d **Plan to boost oil output started in January 2019
- Crude MOC: Sour complex firm as OSP issuance raises optimism
Benchmark cash Dubai edged higher as key Middle East producers issued official selling prices, clearing the way for March-loading trade to kick off.
- Libyan surge, slipping compliance push OPEC+ output up sharply in Dec: Platts survey
**OPEC+ output at 7-month high, compliance down to 98.5% **OPEC pumps 25.43 mil b/d, up by 220,000 b/d **Non-OPEC allies increase production by 60,000 b/d **Saudi output 9.01 mil b/d; Russia pumps 9.10 mil b/d
- Q1 2021 an opportunity for containers to restock amid bullish fundamentals
Strong demand supported by vaccine shipments, Lunar New Year.
- RUSSIA DATA: Dec refining throughput down 7.4% on year at 23.065 mil mt
Russian refineries processed 23.065 million mt (about 5.4 million b/d) of crude in December, down 7.4% year on year but up 3.5% from November, according to energy ministry data released Jan. 11.
- INTERVIEW: MiQ eyes role for methane emissions standard in global gas trade
**MiQ partnership developing new certification system **Independent third-party system for grading gas supply **Buyers can choose 'differentiated gas': MiQ's Tijbosch
- CHINA DATA: Shandong independent refineries' 2020 average run rate rises 6 percentage points
**2020 crude consumption up 10% **Dec run rate falls to 73%, from 76% in Nov **Crack lesser Oman crude in 2020
- TENDER DATA: Sri Lanka's Ceypetco tender seeking 180 CST FO for end-Jan goes unawarded
Ceypetco procures fuel oil on behalf of West Coast Power Pvt. Ltd., and other local power companies for power generation. The company received only one offer for its tender, which was ultimately rejected on account of the specifications not matching the requested specification.
- Asia residual fuel market - Key market indicators this week
The Singapore Marine fuel 0.5%S market witnessed tepid downstream bunker demand in the first trading week of 2021, although bunker traders have pegged their hopes on a demand recovery for the second half of the month.
- MALAYSIA DATA: Production of oil products, LNG declines in November
Malaysia slashed domestic production of gasoline, kerosene, fuel oil, gasoil, LPG, naphtha and LNG in November compared to the same month in 2019, according to preliminary data from the Department of Statistics on Monday, Jan. 11.
- Transit of Kazakh oil via Russia disrupted due to cold weather
**Transneft sees deliveries resuming within 3 days **Outage caused by adverse weather
- Dirty tanker fixtures fall 16% in 2020 as COVID-19 weighs: Poten
**VLCC fixtures down 7% on year in 2020 **Suezmax fixtures down 23% **Aframax fixtures down 20%